Monday, November 10, 2008

Simple Woman's Daybook

Please see Peggy's blog for more entries.. and add your own!

For Today, Monday November 10, 2008

Outside my window... the leaves are still all over the grass. The snow has mostly melted, and I'm inspired to clean out those flower beds and start dreaming about my garden next spring.

I am thinking... about how to maintain a routine amid the chaos of homeschooling, tending to the littles, and housework.

From the learning room... Printmaking, Ancient Rome, new math curriculum (Horizons), helping verbs, Joseph in Egypt.  Made a big switch in our math curriculum (again).  I had switched to Saxon this year from math-u-see, but 2 months in and I was going crazy with the annoying scripted lessons and SLLLOOOOOOW progress that it makes.  I'm sure the older grades (5/4, 6/7 etc) are better as they aren't scripted for the parent.  I wandered into the homeschooling store last week and looked through all the options they had for math and ended up trying Horizons.  We'll see how much I like this new curriculum.  I'm hoping it will stick for awhile.  

I am thankful for... the warm sunlight that shines into our school room in the afternoons and warms us.

I am wearing... Jammies again. I wonder if there isn't a pattern to this LOL.  I"m taking after my grandma Sonia.

From the Kitchen... experimenting with oat flour. I'm hoping to make a loaf of bread today.

I am reading... Two Towers still, and also starting a Matthew Kelley book called The Rythym of Life. 

I am hoping... that my family knows how much I love each and every one of them!

Around the house... it's clean!! I spent all day friday decluttering and cleaning and it's still mostly clean. What a nice feeling.

One of my favorite things... JP saying 'mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy' over and over again while he smiles at me. 

A few plans for the rest of the week... keep the house semi-clean, tackle laundry mountain, smile lots.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...



3 comments:

Tina Marie said...

We switched to Horizons in the middle of September. We used Saxon last year and my oldest hated it. He isn't much happier with Horizons, but that is because they get right to it and Saxon takes half the year building up to the more difficult stuff.

Congratulations on getting the house cleaned! I know how difficult that can get.

Btw, my kids are in grades 1, 2 and the three year old just plays school.

melanie said...

Tina, great to hear that i'm not the only one who switches math in the middle of the year too. It seems a shame to waste the $$ on yet another program, but you're right, Saxon was soooo pokey in how they got to things. I appreciate just being able to dive in with Hoizons and not waste time on measuring a million shapes to the nearest inch and counting by twos for weeks on end.

Anonymous said...

I'm visiting daybooks today, having just discovered the site and joining in. :)

Yaay for that clean house feeling!

~~