Friday, May 11, 2007

Oh where oh where did Melanie go.. oh where oh where can she be?

What excitement we have had in the last two weeks here!! I've been so literally busy I haven't even had time to sleep, never mind blog about our adventures!

Yes, for all of you curious readers out there, we are moving. Here's how it all happened.

I was at church 2 weeks ago when a nice lady (with 10 kids) graciously offered me her old exersaucer.

"I would LOVE to have it, thank you so much... but we don't have enough room in our house for anything!"

"oh," she said... " I do happen to have a five bedroom house for sale, do you want that?"

"WHAT??... a five bedroom house? I've been looking for something like that since the twins were born." And the wheels start furiously turning in my head, searching for a plan that can help me to afford to buy this amazing house..

Later on that week, we went over to her house for coffee and a small birthday party for her 5 year old, and I got to see her lovely house. Five big bedrooms on the upstairs, a living room, dining room, finished basement, FIVE MINUTE WALK TO CHURCH, a big yard, across from a playground. This is my dream house. This is what I have been praying to find ever since the twins were born and I started to feel like a pea in a pea pod slowly being squished by my growing children.

Long story short, they gave us an amazing deal on the house so we could actually afford it. All we had to do was sell our own house in 3 weeks or less.

Right.. no problem! Sell our tiny 1300 sq foot house bulging with baby toys, clothing, books, too much furniture and oodles of children running around. No problem!! Maybe I could just take people through the house to view it one room at a time. Monday can be kitchen viewing, Tuesday can be the bathrooms, weds can be the living room... I'm sure I can keep one room clean at a time.. that is if the kids are all sleeping at the same time. Oh, and then there's the matter of the master bedroom turned nursery, and nursery turned into cramped room with King size bed.

We needed a miracle.

But who am I to doubt in God's providence?

Our amazing friends and family came through with so many helping hands that we turned our house into one of those Reality TV show sets where you make over your house in 48 hours so you can sell it. We had people painting half the walls in the house, people packing up all the clutter in the kitchen, washing and polishing the cupboards, scrubbing the toilets and the bathroom floors, moving furniture into storage, digging up the garden, washing windows, power washing the outside of the house, planting flowers, painting the fence, finishing the drywall in the basement, rearranging furniture, bringing fresh cut flowers, babysitting the kids for hours on end, holding the babies, changing diapers, doing the piles of laundry that were ignored in the chaos and putting the clothes away, cleaning up the mess in the basement, hauling away loads of garbage to the dump, cleaning the oven, and steam cleaning the carpet... WOW. Can you really DO all that in one weekend?

Only if you have oodles of friends and family helping, and you don't go to bed until 2am every night.

We did it though, and we were ready and waiting on weds afternoon when the house went on the market. Tired, and sore from all the work, but our house looked immaculate. Definitely not a house with 5 small kids and tired, harried parents who don't have time to keep up with the house work or yard work.

The end result: Our house was on the market for a mere 8 hours before it SOLD!! The second people who went through the house made an offer just short of our asking price and we jumped for JOY.

Thank you , thank you, thank you!! Thank you to God, to our friends and most especially to our family who never cease to amaze us with their love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the move! Your story sounds almost miraculous to me - scratch the almost - it is miraculous!

Stacie said...

That is fabulous! Congrats.

I have a "Catholic question" as someone who isn't Catholic, married to someone who is but actually knows less about his faith than I do. I mean, the man couldn't remember the 7 sacraments the other day. Anyway - is there any sort of traditional baptism gift I should produce for my twins? Cross? Rosary? Nothing?