Friday, September 02, 2005


Field Trip!!

Daddy didn't have to go to work today, so we went on our first field trip (like we haven't been going on field trips our whole parenting career.. but anyways, Elizabeth was excited at this new prospect).

Since we have been reading Little House on the Prairie, we thought it would be fun to go to Heritage Park and see what kind of houses Mary and Laura might have lived in. We had lots of fun! Elizabeth dressed up like Mary, and we drove down after breakfast and saw an old pioneer house (Sam Livingston) that was home to a family with 14 children!! (note: our house here is bigger than that one, so we are fine to have a few more here at least LOL.. but their garden in the back was bigger than our yard.

We also saw lots of horses pulling wagons, a donkey, some geese, a rooster, 2 sheep, and a bunch of hens. Elizabeth loved to see the cute doll house that was in one of the bedrooms in the old farmhouse.

Also, we went to the old Hudson's Bay fort and learned about trading beaver pelts, and how they made the beaver fur into felt to make fashionable hats. According to the old gentlemen who was talking to us, the west wouldn't be the way it is now if it wasn't for beaver trading.

It's funny, now that I'm starting to homeschool and think about the next few years of my children's lives, I'm all of a sudden interested in many things around me, and realize that I know hardly anything about Canadian history. It will be fun to learn all of this alongside them (or a few hours before them so I look like I know what I'm talking about LOL).

When we got home, it was supposed to be nap time, but Elizabeth wanted to do school work so we did math. She sure loves playing with all those colorful blocks. I'm loving Math-U-See... What a great program!

After math, she drew a picture from our field trip and narrated a story for me about it... cute!! She copied the horse from her Draw Write Now book (I can't say enough good things about that book), and then drew a wagon and the reins on the horse from memory of what they looked like at Heritage Park.

Oh btw... the driver is Grandpa Ed, because she told me that "He's a real cowboy"... :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had so much fun. It sounded like a terrific day. I look forward to reading about all your adventures.

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth, you look just like I imagine Mary to look! I like your drawing of the horse and wagon, especially the harness and the reins.

Mel, the Grandpa Ed comment is so cute!

Love, Aunt Val

Anonymous said...

cousin jenny said...

mel, remember when you were so excited to see the goats, but they turned out to be GHOSTS? that's so cute.

Anonymous said...

cousin jenny said...

mel, are you going to read the Narnia series? because maybe you should not have them see the movie when it comes out so they can discover those stories afresh through the books. I can't help but wonder what my childhood would have been like if all those favourite books of mine had also been movies. Would I have read them? Or would I have simply watched the movie?

melanie said...

Jenny,

I remeber the goats!! that was too cute :-) totally something that elizabeth would do!

and yes we LOVE the Narnia books around here. Sean has already read through some of them with the kids at bedtime although a lot of it went over their heads, and then on the way to grandma's house when we helped out with the garage sale this spring we listened to Lion, witch and the wardrobe CD.

Aren't they the best stories?

Now as an adult, I also love to read Lord of the Rings. It's neat to think that Tolkein and C.S. Lewis were great friends.

melanie said...

oh, about the movie book thing... I don't know what we'll do. Chances are the movie will have scary parts and she's pretty sensitive (got scared even in the Polar Express) so we'll likely wait on that one, but I want to see it!!